We got to our campsite very late at night during our October 2017 Capitol Reef trip. As always, we were thankful for free dispersed camping. The plan the next morning was to do a few of “The Wives.” Let’s just say that didn’t happen and all we really ended up doing was a small hike and playing around in one of the slots.
August 2017 included a landmark trip to Zion National Park. I don’t like Zion, but this trip was a good start at making me change my mind. It was my first wet canyon experience.
The beautiful Pine Creek Canyon was life changing.
One of Peter’s sisters and her family decided to do a post-4th of July trip to Teton and Yellowstone. Peter feels very strongly about Teton and we know how I feel about Yellowstone, so off we went to meet up with them.
As I prepare for my second trip to Yellowstone and my first trip to an out-of-state national park this year, I finally decided to come back to this post. Heading to a national park usually means a lot of driving, both to get there and once in the park itself, which of course means needing a lot of quality music.
Here are some of my favorites to listen to on the long drives to and around the parks. At the end you’ll find a Spotify playlist of all the specific songs mentioned.
A few months ago I saw someone tweet this: You don’t have to be pretty like her. You can be pretty like you.
I’ve thought about it a lot since then. Literally every day. I am my own person and I should look and dress exactly how I want. I’m normally best at this when it comes to outdoor stuff. I love my outdoor clothes and gear. I feel and look like my best self when wearing four-way stretch shorts, Chacos, and obnoxiously bright T-shirts.
I started this list in January… and I forgot about it until just now! So here’s an introduction and update on all the new things I’m trying in 2017.
- Go on a (new) hike once a month.
- Without even trying, I’m pretty sure I’ve been doing pretty well at this!
- Roll my own sushi.
- Peter and I rolled sushi for Valentine’s Day. It was awesome.
- Use the climbing shoes I bought last year.
- It took a few months, but I’ve now used them a number of times. My new thing is bouldering. Expect a post on that soon!
- Sleep outside in southern Utah. (Somehow I’ve never slept without a tent when camping around red rock)
- I’ve done this a handful of times now! My new favorite thing is sleeping in the bed of Peter’s beloved truck.
- Sleep in my hammock.
- To happen soon. I hope.
- Try new dutch oven recipes.
- I did a few dutch oven meals a few weeks ago on a quick overnight trip. I would highly recommend green enchiladas and raspberry peach cobbler. Plenty more delicious dishes to come!
For my 26th birthday I wanted to do something extra special. I had always thought about renting a cabin or house in a neat place just to hang out with my friends for a few days, and why wouldn’t you want to spend a wintry weekend in Bryce Canyon?
Our April trip to Arches was a quick one. We got to Moab late the night before and planned to spend the morning in Arches and the afternoon in Canyonlands.