A few months ago I saw someone tweet this: You don’t have to be pretty like her. You can be pretty like you.
I’ve thought about it a lot since then. Literally every day. I am my own person and I should look and dress exactly how I want. I’m normally best at this when it comes to outdoor stuff. I love my outdoor clothes and gear. I feel and look like my best self when wearing four-way stretch shorts, Chacos, and obnoxiously bright T-shirts.
I started this list in January… and I forgot about it until just now! So here’s an introduction and update on all the new things I’m trying in 2017.
- Go on a (new) hike once a month.
- Without even trying, I’m pretty sure I’ve been doing pretty well at this!
- Roll my own sushi.
- Peter and I rolled sushi for Valentine’s Day. It was awesome.
- Use the climbing shoes I bought last year.
- It took a few months, but I’ve now used them a number of times. My new thing is bouldering. Expect a post on that soon!
- Sleep outside in southern Utah. (Somehow I’ve never slept without a tent when camping around red rock)
- I’ve done this a handful of times now! My new favorite thing is sleeping in the bed of Peter’s beloved truck.
- Sleep in my hammock.
- Try new dutch oven recipes.
- I did a few dutch oven meals a few weeks ago on a quick overnight trip. I would highly recommend green enchiladas and raspberry peach cobbler. Plenty more delicious dishes to come!
For my 26th birthday I wanted to do something extra special. I had always thought about renting a cabin or house in a neat place just to hang out with my friends for a few days, and why wouldn’t you want to spend a wintry weekend in Bryce Canyon?
Our April trip to Arches was a quick one. We got to Moab late the night before and planned to spend the morning in Arches and the afternoon in Canyonlands.
Shortly after my fourth trip to Arches in November 2016, I got to spend just a fraction of time in Zion once again. The first time I went to Zion I was sufficiently underwhelmed. Like, I don’t think I’ve been that underwhelmed by anything in my entire life. You can read all about those feelings in my first post about Zion. But this time was better! Continue reading
In November 2016 I went to Arches a fourth time! This was an extra special trip because I got to introduce Becca to Arches and this park was playing host to my first technical canyon. Yikes.
Just like 2016, the early months of 2017 included a back-to-back trip to Capitol Reef. It’s the perfect park to visit for quick camping trips because it’s so close to Provo.
I don’t remember when I first discovered cool mint chocolate Clif Bars, but it was some time in 2015. And boy did they change my life! They’re my go-to sweet snack everywhere. I always keep a couple at my desk; there’s always at least one in my backpack; I’ve begun to buy them in bulk.